Question:
Singing or Screaming?
Obsidian ©
2007-05-10 20:30:52 UTC
When it comes to metal what do you prefer.

For me the occasional scream isn't so bad but I atleast would like to hear the words. Heavy riffs with good vocals is awesome but I'm just not into the so called scream singing. I guess I'm more old school.
Fifteen answers:
Jaded
2007-05-11 16:46:42 UTC
Yeah i completely agree with you on this one, occasional screams here and there are cool, but i like to hear words more clearly...i mean if you know the lyrics, you´ll be able to follow the screams too anyway, but i just prefer to have a combination of something like 30% scream and 70% hard rock singing....but then again there are some really screaming heavy metal songs that i enjoy too...it just depends on the song for me really. But im afraid death metal is something i wont ever really be into, but maybe i just havent heard the right song to convince me yet.
?
2007-05-10 20:41:16 UTC
Singing is good, but not the old school Dream Theater style. Those high vocals that end in a shrill note that is just this side of a dog whistle are enough to make my skin crawl.

On the other hand, that wonderful screaming that Lamb Of God seems fond of really isn't my style. It does nothing for me.

I guess I'm just picky.
2007-05-10 20:35:26 UTC
I agreed. Yeah if comes to metal you need to scream but not to such extent that I don't know what the heck they are singing about. Good melodies, lyrics and vocals are still the things I look for when comes to metal/rock.
Gwyn
2007-05-10 20:33:14 UTC
Singing. I prefer audible vocals. Too much screaming ruins the song.
ginny
2016-05-20 05:54:46 UTC
As Cantilena says - the only way to improve a voice is by getting lessons. It may not be what you want to do, but it's the same with learning anything - unless you have a good teacher, you're not going to get very far. What your voice sounds like to you may be nothing like what other people hear. Many people reckon they're good singers - you only have to watch X-Factor, or shows like that, to see that the vast majority of them are horribly mistaken.
devilishangelgirl10
2007-05-10 21:58:02 UTC
Being me, I have a range of song tastes. I like the occasional scream, but I still want it audible.
Nicole
2007-05-10 20:34:45 UTC
I've heard it's not screaming, it's growling. Having said that, I prefer singing. But I'm a chick.
Romans 8:28
2007-05-11 09:48:29 UTC
Singing. I can't imagine people actually LIKE to be screamed at!
2007-05-10 20:35:38 UTC
some groups can really pull off a scream

but usually not the whole song

i like both usually

or just singing

a band that combines it all really well, plus some rap is linkin park
2007-05-10 23:06:06 UTC
I can do both.

Singing came naturally for me,

Screaming did not,

And it's very hard to be able to do both.

But my screaming is still musical, which is even harder to do.
Jaci { R.I.P. Casey }
2007-05-10 20:41:41 UTC
as long as its Chester Bennington (Linkin' Park) or Chris Carrabba (Dashboard Confessional) I don't mind the occassional screaming

anyone else I'd prefer them to just sing
2007-05-10 21:38:36 UTC
Both.
2007-05-10 20:35:53 UTC
singing........i like screaming but when they do it too much it gets annoyinh
ausblue
2007-05-10 21:13:52 UTC
mainly old school also
ian_mdogg