Question:
Is it possible for me to sing decently?
Kushan T
2007-05-10 20:46:27 UTC
I am not looking to be the next Frank Sinatra. But I like the thought of singing a small tune while strumming my guitar. I am 22 already. Is it too late to start now ? I am a pretty horrible singer right now, is it possible to become at least decent at it without taking lessons ?

If yes, then how do I start ?
Four answers:
.KeV!N.
2007-05-10 21:12:34 UTC
It's never too late to sing. Yeah it's possible, anything is possible if you work hard on it. Self-learning could be good if you already know your basics, but if you're just starting, it's best to get lessons, advises from professionals, and tips & stuff from the Internet about singing. Also, it's good that you have a guitar to play with, it helps you keep in tune and timing.
Pete
2007-05-10 21:59:23 UTC
If you arent born with it , you will be sooooo much better off with lessons.

But here you go anyway

Sing Julie Andrews' "Doe-A-Deer". From the musical the Sound of Music.

It is a song made up of the 8 notes of an octave but the first and last notes are the same note, only one octave apart.

Ill start it off.... wait..you play guitar..you should know this one by now.

Do a deer , a female deer.....Ra , a drop of golden sun....Me, a name , i call myself....Fa , a long , long way to run...So , a needle pulling thread.....an so on..

This you can sing in any key. You can start on any note...just go thru the scale..do ,ra, me , fa, so , la , ti , do...

This isnt going to be what you play for your friends but its a great warm-up and if you do the scale with your guitar and follow along with singing then you will know if you are off key.

hope this helps.
devilishangelgirl10
2007-05-10 21:27:01 UTC
It is possible. I think if you practice every day, and if you have a recorder, you may get better. If not......you may have to take lessons. I took off my singing for about a year and it took me a month to break right back into it. I'm pretty sure if you practice and record to see your progress you can see if you're getting better. Try this for a week or two, if no improvement take lessons.
LB
2007-05-11 10:24:46 UTC
It's never too late. The Doe-Re-Mi guy is right on. Also, you can buy warm up cds that have excercises on them do a search on amazon- and record yourself- it's the only way to know if you're making any progress.