Question:
Why does alcohol make your voice raspy?
Thinksalot
2007-05-10 14:10:43 UTC
Why does alcohol make your voice raspy, and
can non-alcoholic beer have the same effect?
Five answers:
Your Uncle Dodge!
2007-05-10 15:25:23 UTC
Being tired or drunk makes your voice raspy. The drink itself, except for the coolness, has little effect.
Pedros214
2007-05-11 19:42:34 UTC
It makes the voice raspy because alcohol is a drying agent. If you drink enough of alcohol, it can make your vocal cords brittle. Alcohol, which has the same effect on the skin and hair, is not a good choice for a singer or a person of any kind, who is worried about their voice. Alcohol is used in some acne medications because its cleans and dries out affected areas on the skin. Too much alcohol on the skin causes it to flake off. In the case of hair, it can make the hair really dry and break off. I wouldn't suggest drinking it at all.

By the way, non-alcoholic beverages won't make your voice raspy. I've never heard of non-alcoholic beer, I'm pretty sure that doesn't exist. If anyone tells you otherwise they are lying. lol
2007-05-10 16:34:36 UTC
A little alcohol, like a small glass of wine (just one small one that is) helps with loosening up the vocal chords, it's when you drink heaps of beer that stuffs your voice up because of the dehydration and all the other ingredients such as yeast and all that sugar thats in beer
Jessica Ann
2007-05-10 15:38:47 UTC
Alcohol dehydrates your vocal chords. Also, as you drink sometimes you don't realize the strain that you put on your voice. Some people tend to push their voice more when singing or talking if they are a little intoxicated. I know I do... ;)
Vampire Freak
2007-05-10 16:22:34 UTC
I think alchohol has acid or something it in that makes your throat burn and dries out your vocal cords.

Hope it helps!=D