Question:
What are the ragas?
Crown
2007-05-10 11:42:40 UTC
Are ragas what we call ' sa re ga ma pa da ni sa'. If yes, then can anyone please tell me how many other ragas are there?
Ten answers:
N & A
2007-05-10 17:51:13 UTC
i think the raga is the traditional method of our singing of india. "chincy" give you the best info and answers and source for your question.
The Dumb Head
2007-05-13 10:13:18 UTC
sa re ga ma pa dha ni - are the seven notes used in Indian Classical Music. Out of these, two notes viz. 'sa' and 'pa' has no variation but the other notes have. A Raga is a composition using all or some of these notes. A Raga describes some Imagination. Mere singing/playing the notes does not make a Raga, imagination and rendering from the hart makes a perfect (?) Raga .

There are many many ragas in Indian Classical Music. You will be surprised to know in many of them the notes are same but the imagination and rendering from the heart makes them two different ragas.

For any other query on Indian Classical Music, I am available on messenger or e-mail.
Chincy
2007-05-10 11:59:00 UTC
There are different types of Ragas.

Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Dha Ni Sa is not a Raga, it is a Sargam which is used to make different Ragas work.

I knew some ragas as follows:

1Bhairav

2Madhyamadi

3Bhairavi

4Bangali

5Varatika

6Madhavi

7Kaushik

8Todi

9Khambavati

10Gauri

11Gunakri

12Kakubh

13Hindol

14Velavali

15Ramakri

16Desh

17Patamanjari

18Lalit

19Dipak

20Kedari

21Kanada

22Deshi

23Kamodi

24Natika

25Shri

26Vasanti

27Malavi

28Malashri

29Dhanashri

30Asavari

31Megh

32Mallari

33Deshkari

34Bhupali

35Gurjari

36Takka

Hope This information is Useful
2007-05-10 12:12:06 UTC
I'm not sure on that front. But yes, its also practised vice-versa - 'sa ni da pa ma ga re sa'. So you go like - 'sa (to) ni sa' and then back again 'sa ni (to) sa'.

I hope this comes to some use -

The Raga Guide

http://www.wyastone.co.uk/nrl/world/raga/intro1.html

Also, you may refer to P. Venkataraman's website (many ragas are listed on the left hand side).

http://www.rit.edu/~pnveme/ragaindex.html

If you really want to study this subject in-depth. I suggest you log onto an Ancient Indian Music website (Govt. recognised), which would help you a lot.

Learn the History of the art first and then move onto the Basics and slowly you can pick up pace.
sapu
2007-05-14 03:36:31 UTC
'sa re ga ma pa dha ni' these are the notes or called 'swara' but not raga. We have two categories rules in our Indian classical music. One is North Indian and other is South Indian. Both the system has been based on two diffirent 'thata or mel'. There are ten 'thatas' in North Indian classical music and 72 'thatas' in South Indian classical music. Such as raga 'Iman' has been produced from the 'Kalyan Thata'.
InfoYogi
2007-05-11 15:41:07 UTC
Raagas is a combination of notes (sa ri ga ma pa da ni sa) atleast 5 should be included, sa and pa in either going up (sa ri ga ma pa da ni) or going down should be there (sa ni da pa ma ga ri sa).

Also they mean painting in the mind of listener. So each ragaa can create emotions to the listener.

Equivalent in the western music system is scales. For example C major scale in western music system is C D E F G A B C

So even sa ri ga ma pa da ni sa is one Raaga which is called Maya Malawa Gowla. Purdara Das (Father of Carnatic Music) came up with simple teaching methods using this raaga.

To make it simple just think like NOTES are like ALPHABHETS of the music language, RAGAS are like WORDS which gives meaning to the listener, SONGS are like combination of words used in SENTENCES. So like by speaking you can create either sweeter or harsher emotions to your listener, with combination of notes your communicating to the listener.
2017-01-12 08:26:26 UTC
What Are Ragas
2007-05-10 14:59:51 UTC
the ragas that chincy wrote are correct, but there are many more. also, their are two types of indian music: hindustani and carnatic. they both have different raagas. each raaga is a different combination of the sargams [[sa, re, ga, ma, pa, da, ni, sa]] and have tivras, komals, and shrudhs. tivra is slightly higher than a note [[equivalent to a sharp]], komal is slightly lower than a note [[equivalent to a flat]], and a shrudh is perfectly tuned. raagas are based on taats. taats have a raaga named after them, and then have other raagas derived from them.

i could go on forever but this is the basic idea...
priya
2007-05-11 06:22:36 UTC
chincy gave u the best answer.
exploremyworld